Today we are going to learn phrases for asking for clarification in the IELTS speaking test. You can use these phrases to ask for clarification for unclear questions in part1 & 3 on the IELTS Speaking Test.
How to ask for Clarification In The IELTS Speaking Test?
In IELTS speaking, there is a good chance that you don’t catch the phrase or not understand it at all. Such cases may negatively impact your speaking score because, without a proper understanding of the question, you may easily go out of topic. So it’s always safe and secure to ask for clarification for UNCLEAR questions. (part1 and part 3 only)
- Could I ask you to say that in other words? I’m not sure I quite understood.
- Could I ask you to say that in a different way? I don’t think I quite got what you meant.
- Could you please explain it to me in a slightly different way?
- I’m really / terribly sorry but I’m not sure what you mean exactly.
- Please could I just check whether you would like me to talk about school or university, or both?
- Do you mean whether local news is more important than national news?
- Do you mean how frequently I watch news on television?
- I am not exactly sure what you meant by ‘entail’? Would you be kind enough to explain it
- Would you mind repeating that? I didn’t quite catch it.
- Could you please repeat the question?
- I’m so sorry. Please could you say that again?